Medical Laboratory Technician/Scientist - Haematology
Part Time 56 hours/fortnight (0.7 FTE)
Wellington SCL provides high quality diagnostic pathology services to the community, health care professionals and their patients. Wellington SCL is owned by APHG NZ Ltd; a healthcare company committed to providing facilities and services that deliver exceptional care to its clients.
Based at Wellington Hospital, our Haematology Department is currently looking for part time Registered Medical Laboratory Technicians / Scientists (7 shifts or 56 hours per fortnight). Our laboratory operates 24/7 and the rostered hours for this position would follow a pattern of:
3 days Evening shift (1500-2300)
3 days Rostered off
3 days Post-midnight shift (2300-0700)
3 days Rostered off
After a period of training and orientation this role would be a sole-operator position outside of routine operation hours (Monday-Friday, 0700-2030).
There are numerous advantages for staff employed to participate in this roster. Working 7 instead of 10 shifts in a fortnight provides a work/life balance, especially suited for families, childcare, study or other pursuits. Evening and weekend work attracts penal rates and cumulatively, the income for this role works out to be greater than an equivalent full-time role (80 hours) working during routine hours. In addition a significant amount of shift leave is accumulated for working evening and post-midnight shifts.
The Haematology Department performs a range of routine and specialist diagnostic testing and is equipped with the latest automated systems.
To succeed in this role you will need:
- To be a NZ Medical Sciences Council registered Scientist / Technician with a current Annual Practicing Certificate
- Be able to work in a methodical manner adhering to strict quality procedure guidelines.
- Have a team focus with initiative, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and possess the ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- A sound knowledge of laboratory operations including; safety, operation of equipment and hands-on practical experience with a preference given for Haematology experience.
- Strong problem solving skills
- The ability to follow procedures and instructions
- Excellent attention to detail with good record-keeping skills
- Must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19
If you are passionate about your work and want to be part of a friendly supportive team committed to providing quality pathology services to the greater Wellington region, we would like to hear from you. Apply online www.aphgcareers.co.nz
Applications close 26th January 2022