Medical Laboratory Scientist / Second-in-Charge (2iC) Histology
Medlab South, a division of Asia Pacific Healthcare Group, is the provider of pathology services to the patients of Nelson/Marlborough Hospital Clinicians, General Practitioners, Medical Specialists, and midwives by way of our long-term contract with the Nelson/Marlborough District Health Board.
The laboratory provides a full histology service, which also includes overseeing the Nelson/Marlborough mortuary. This is a permanent, full time position of 80 hours per fortnight.
As Second-In-Charge your responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical and scientific advice, training and education to other members of staff
- Taking responsibility for and work in collaboration with the Head of Department to ensure the effective day-to-day running of department
- Assisting in the completion of staff reviews, rostering of staff, approval and management of leave, accurate authorisation of payroll and allocation of relieving staff
- Supporting HOD and assist in staff management including performance
- Ensuring the department delivers a high quality of service and maintains a stable team by promoting an open, collaborative and supportive environment
- Ensuring efficient stock control and effective use of consumables
- Participate in future planning and policy setting for the department
- Assisting in developing and introducing appropriate methodology to the laboratory
- Assisting HOD to organise and prioritise workflow to meet company's and client's requirements
To be considered for this role you will have;
- Registration with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of NZ including a current annual practicing certificate
- Experience in a leadership/management role
- A quality focus, with a commitment to applying, maintaining and developing our quality assurance system
- Good time management and computer skills
- Recent experience in Histology
- An understanding of biological science as well as knowledge of the techniques, methods and protocols used in cut up or surgical dissection
- Strong communication, facilitation and presentation skills and the ability to use these for coaching and mentoring of others
- A high level of written skills, including a demonstrated ability to undertake scientific investigations, analysis, reporting and presenting
You will be disciplined and self-motivated, with a positive approach to work; customer focused; possess effective interpersonal and time management skills; able to work independently, use initiative to solve problems and make decisions appropriately.
APHG offers support in management training to senior technical staff. In addition, there is a funded CPD program for laboratory scientists and a discretionary scholarship fund for approved educational projects.
If you are passionate about your work, dedicated to quality and want to be part of a friendly supportive team committed to providing quality pathology services apply online via our website: www.aphgcareers.co.nz
Applications close: 10 December 2021