Section Leader / Lab Manager 2IC
Gribbles Veterinary Pathology is New Zealand's leading provider of veterinary diagnostic services operating five laboratories nationwide. This fully equipped diagnostic laboratory performs a range of domestic and export testing, on behalf of private Veterinarians research organisations, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies and zoos.
Our Hamilton laboratory is currently offering an exciting opportunity for a permanent, full-time Section Leader/Lab Manager 2IC to manage the Specimen Reception team and overall operations in the absence of the Laboratory Manager. This fully equipped diagnostic laboratory performs a range of domestic and export testing, on behalf of private veterinarians, research organisations, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies and zoos.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, this position plays an important role in creating a great working environment for staff, while ensuring that all expected operational, quality, project and technical outcomes are delivered. As a strong leader, you will promote a culture of continuous improvement and a solutions focused mind set, to ensure a high level of quality and service in your team. Excellent communication skills and attention to details will be essential in succeeding in this role, as well as a demonstrated ability to manage staff and resources in a high throughput laboratory environment.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a high throughput laboratory
- Proven record of successful leadership and staff management
- Solutions focused with ability to problem solve and adapt under pressure
- Continuous improvement mind set
- Highly motivated and driven with professional attitude
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a PC2 level biological containment laboratory
- Flexibility to work additional hours when required
- Excellent management, prioritisation and organisational skills
- Enthusiasm, energy and a driven outlook
The following key tasks will be part of your challenging and varied role:
- Responsible for the day to day operations of the department and overall lab in the absence of the lab manager and ensuring all samples are processed and registered ready for testing.
- Lead and motivate your team to deliver a professional standard of customer service, and maintain a positive and cooperative attitude towards the clients and team members.
- Co-ordination of couriers and all ordering for the lab alongside referral testing processes.
- Stocktake, end of month reporting and invoicing
- Handling all calls and emails from clients, troubleshooting and providing services guidance.
- Investigation of complaints and non-conformances and completion of corrective actions
- Ongoing identification of quality, operational and efficiency improvement opportunities
- Participation in the Saturday roster will be required